Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Week 5 Blog forum

   The photo story that I chose to do was "She's a Lady Boxer".
What made the story compelling and what basically got my attention, was the title. The pictures as well helped in the sense that it made me interested in what the story was about. The picture of her in her prom dress with her fists up is what essentially got my attention.

   Two challenges the photographer faced in getting the photos, would be trying to capture that perfect shot of Maricella, whether it be at her home or in the gym. Another challenge I feel the photographer Scott Strazzante had was picking out photos that were flattering to his subject. There is one photo in the story that is not all that flattering of Maricella. However, I feel as though he chose it because he didn't want to glamorize what her sport (boxing) actually consisted of.

There was a theme and visual consistency yes. The photos taken were in black and white and also did tell a story. His photos allowed us to get an inside as to what her life is like. It sort of gave us an idea. For example from her in the gym training, to her in the boxing ring, and her even at home watching a video of latin boxers while holding a teddy bear.

The work he needed to do beyond taking these photos, was to make sure he chose photos that complimented what his goal was to telling a story and to make sure that the photos were appropriate and went with what he was trying to portray.

Techniques or approaches that I can use in shooting my photo story would be to try and make sure that I take photos that will hopefully tell a story of my subject. An approach I would like to try is to get some personal "behind the scenes" photos. I would also like to do my story in black and white because I feel like it gives a more dramatic effect.

Topic 2:
My photo story ideas, are to shoot workers from my gym and another possible idea would be to shoot the worship team at my church.
For the gym, I could do it over the course of a few weeks, at my gym in Sweet Home.
For my worship team, I could do it over the next two weeks at Community Chapel in Sweet Home.
I could go about documenting both of these by just being present and seeing what shots would be good ones to take. I would of course need to get started by asking if it was alright if I sat in, or observed what my subjects were doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment